I soon realised that the most important thing that will keep me in this job for long will be the lives of these children who directly or indirectly committed some crimes and have to be based at the home. If not, their familes seem to be dysfunctional for various reasons and they have to be here as well. No longer I have the luxury of pay rise, even if it is so, it is little and not guaranteed thing. HR and training funds paled in comparison with I had at govt stat board.
I started to realise how important my role is, pretty much like a shepherd, friend and elder brother to these 'ah di's..hey I can do my part to meet their needs, serve and hopefully integrate them back into society some time later. I began to see that the work can be veri xiong, fighting fires, efforts can be veri intangible but the satisfaction perhaps will come when they are discharged on the final day :) I look forward to that and believe that my passion and knowledge for sports and as a Christ follower can value-add to these youths who need someone to guide them in the right track as far as possible. Can envision myself coaching the soccer team to great heights to win the inter-home teen games challenge next year!
Despite not much of pay and HR welfare, this job is not without its tangible blessings as well, I walk to work every day. Saves transport to 1/4 of the previous expenses. Think I just need to top up once my ezlink card $50 once a month!
There is a cook based in-house, staff can get free lunch and/or dinner by putting their lunch boxes in the kitchen. Saves huge costs by doing that. No more subway, $10-lunch at suntec, restaurants. Saves by 1/4 as well. $120 the max I give, the amt I will spend on food monthly
will need the money for my driving lessons, soccer coaching course, future mission work and other expenses along the way.
And I believe that God answered my prayers of wanting to contribute to tertiary ministry. Heard from swee leong that Genacts' Alive programme is coming to Graceheaven, perhaps in May! Just amazing how His hand has been in this job opening, first week along, timely two workers are leaving and I am expected to take up cases soon. Will be fast and furious, got the chance to go kk hospital to attend case conference, mtg doctor/psychologist/medical social worker/case manager all at one go to discuss my boy's case. Went to juvenile court today also, got a taste of the judge's no-nonsense and harsh words used against the youths as reported in the newspapers. I guess it is much needed considering the trouble that the youngsters get into. Some words of deterrence used is important.
No comments:
Post a Comment